Healthy Winter Drink Recipes: Our Favourite Winter Warmers.
Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Paleo!
We know that a lot of our natural hair care fans out there don’t just stop at their beauty routine when it comes to guilt-free luxuries.
Healthy living comes in many forms, from our 100% natural, organic hair product range to ethical fashion and great recipes without the naughty factor. When it comes to food and drink, there’s no denying it feels good to eat well, but every so often it’s all too tempting not to indulge. We love a healthy winter drink, here at Tabitha James Kraan Organics, as an alternative to regular hot chocolates and lattes, so we’ve decided to give you let you in on the secret and give you a blog on healthy winter drink recipes!
A winter drink is one of those glorious little pleasures in life that can make a bad day better and fill you with festive spirit to the tips of your toes, but when it comes to store bought spiced lattes and hot chocolates, a health-conscious shopper might feel the need to forgo. These healthy warming winter drink recipes are not only delicious, but they’re also dairy, gluten, grain and even refined sugar free!
Let this be the end of missing out on delightful winter warmers – it is possible to make your own guilt-free (but by no means pleasure-free!) healthy winter drink alternatives.
Here’s a couple of our favourite healthy winter drink recipes. Enjoy!
Creamy Coconut Hot Chocolate
Now here’s a tasty treat to warms your cockles!
This healthy twist on a traditional hot chocolate is ideal for vegans, vegetarians, Paleo people and those of you just wanting to treat yourself to something luxurious. Dairy free, gluten free and even sugar free if you so wish! Ideal for kids when parents want to skip the sugar rush…
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 2 cups almond milk
- ½-1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 4 ounces high quality chocolate or baking chocolate
- 2-3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Sugar, honey or your choice of sweetener to taste, if preferred
- To make this dairy free simply remove the heavy cream and replace with 2 or 3 extra tablespoons of coconut milk
- Pour coconut milk, almond milk, vanilla extract, cocoa powder and heavy cream (if using) into a saucepan over a low heat to avoid burning. Stir well.
- Break up your dark chocolate, ready for melting!
- Just before your saucepan mix starts to simmer, add the chocolate and mix until fully melted and combined.
- Keep on medium low and stir often until it begins to simmer.
- Reduce the heat to as low as possible and wait for the chocolate to melt.
- Serve and enjoy!
Healthy Homemade Gingerbread Latte
The red cups have arrived (you know what we’re talking about!) but guess what? We can do it better! Shh, don’t tell.
This healthy homemade gingerbread latte recipe is once again dairy free, but it also works perfectly with regular milk if that’s your preference. Creamy, indulgent, spicy and delicious – this is one healthy winter warmer you don’t want to miss!
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon dried ginger
- pinch of nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon molasses
- sugar or sweetener, to taste
- ½ cup fresh coffee, or to taste
Pour the almond milk, or your preferred preference, and coffee into a saucepan. Heat gently.
Add the cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and molasses and stir well.
When hot, for an extra special touch, froth the milk! If you don’t have a milk steamer, another great way of getting lovely, thick milk is to decant into a French Press and pump the strainer up and down for a minute or two. With enough vigour this makes wonderful froth.
Pour into a big mug, top with some whipped cream and a dusting of cinnamon, if you like, and enjoy!
For a twist and a cosy night-time drink without the caffeine, try this recipe with chicory instead of coffee